Monday, November 9, 2009

Problems Encountered

Some Problems Encountered

The first problem that we faced was the the flax stringer not being refined and small enough strands to work between the fiberglass. So we decided to not do that and just have some fiber glass instead of the flax

Another problem we found was with our molds, they were skeleton molds so when we clamped them down to the boards. Then the boards started to deform near the edges creating big dips between the pieces so we reduced the number of pieces to reduce the effect. We also made them over sized so we could trim off the left over bits. That turned out to be very effective

Another problem that I found was that my grip tape only was deigned for a normal skate board but my board is bigger then a normal skate board so I needed two sheets of grip tape. There were only two pieces order and another person in my class also wanted the same grip tape, so what we did is we ended up with one piece each but I'm not sure if he is going to be finished in time so I am probably going to get both of the pieces of grip tape. I know I'm going to find it hard to make them match up nicely

I found it hard to get my stencil onto my board because the way I was going to do it wasn't going to work because my board is black and if i had the black bits on the panda white it would of just looked rather strange so what I did in the end (with the help of mu mother =S) was we cut out the black bits on my panda and kept the white paper we cut it out of, then we put double sided tape on the black parts of the panda, put it back from where we cut them out, put them on my board, paper and all, then made sure the black bits were stuck on my board and then pulled the white paper off only leaving the black bits left and since my board was already black that was ALL GOOD. Then we thought some "racing stripes" would look cool to go with it. I tend to agree with my mum on that =]. The next day I sprayed it white. I did that twice so I had two coats of white just to make sure it looked good

The spray gun wasn't much of my friend for a small amount of the time i was spraying, as i got better the gun slowly became my friend and things all started to go smoothly

I also found it hard to stay on topic some of the time too (i shall blame Sam for that....mostly)

No comments:

Post a Comment